It is truly rare to experience and enjoy two stunning landscapes in the same vicinage. This was what happened when I visited Calbayog City for 5 hours. Visiting Calbayog City was not in my original plan cause my trip was destined to explore one of the most virgin caves in Catbalogan City and to experience their Canyoning. I just got the chance to visit Calbayog City because I arrived early in the morning at their sea port from Cebu City. And since I have 5 hours of free time, I decided to explore the nearby waterfalls before heading to Catbalogan City.
The first waterfalls I visited was the stunning beauty of Tarangban Falls cause it requires a 30 minute trek uphill, and since both are situated in the same vicinage, both are easy to reach.
Bangon Falls or locally known as Bugtong Falls has an estimated height of about 60 meters. It is actually a system of cascades, which you need to walk along the cascades themselves to get to the first tier of the Falls or the main Falls. The track leading to the falls can be really slippery, especially during raining season. Hence, you have to be very extra careful in your ascent. The first level of Bangon Falls has a circular catching basin of approximately 30 meters in diameter, which is really good for swimming and deep enough if you choose to dive.
On our way back after exploring and enjoying the innate beauty of Tarangban Falls, I have bumped into some of the visitors as they made their way to Tarangban Falls. I was smiling to them while wearing a pride, thinking that I was the first visitor in Tarangban Falls on that day. I also cheer them as I have found out that some of them were struggling while on their way to Tarangban Falls. I told them that they’re almost there and just keep moving. I was then happy to tell them as well that Tarangban Falls was indeed beautiful in its own right.
The gurgling sound of the river was so inviting, it only speaks that Bangon Falls is so close. While we were about to trek going to the Falls, Chris told me that getting to Bangon Falls is easy. Truly, I started traipsing my feet on the river while gazing at the cascade ahead of me, which is visible from afar. I actually didn’t expect that Bangon Falls has a 3 level. Hence, while we keep on our river trek, I notice that the number of visitors is getting higher, some were in a group of friends, travelers and also a family group.
At the first level of the falls, there were small cottages on the side, which serves as a place for recreation of the visitors while enjoying the shade of the huge trees nearby. The first tier of Bangon Falls is not that really high and doesn’t own a deep catching basin where an adult can swim. This is where the kids play and swim for this is the nature’s way of sharing the gift of nature, so that the kids can enjoy as well.
Getting to the second and last tier of Bangon Falls is actually a bit challenging, since you have to use a rope to arrive there. You might probably be thinking now that you should bring a sturdy rope when you visit Bangon Falls. But no worries because there was already an installed rope on the side that is easy and available to grab when you get to the second and the first level.
I was actually struggling when I get to the second tier cause I have gadgets to bring and my tripod. Chris was so kind enough that he offer to bring some of my things. Indeed, I got to the second tier without struggling that much. The second level has a wide brink, but it’s not that high and the water flows in slope direction. The catching basin was wide and you can actually swim. I simply took a photo and went to the first level.
The last tier of Bangon Falls will surely leave you in awe. It was truly beautiful. Just like many other waterfalls in the Philippines, only what seemed the last level of Bangon Falls unique is the slanting direction to its catching basin. It has a circular catching basin of approximately 30 meters in diameter, which is really good for swimming and deep enough if you choose to dive.
The water was really tempting, I can’t just leave the place without dousing my body in its cold water. During my sojourn, it wasn’t hot as the sun seemed to hide, so the water was really cold. I as well tried to dive and truly, It was really deep. Again, I enjoy the place alone just like how I own the Tarangban Falls since I was the only one swimming.
I took some photos before leaving the place and started to descend cause I have to get back to Calbayog City and head straight to Calbayog for my extreme adventure there. As we have reached the drop off point, I immediately saw the hanging rice, thinking that I can finally eat, since I didn’t have my breakfast. Unluckily, there was no available viand hence, I get one piece of hanging rice and one boiled egg just to fill my famished stomach before going back to the registration area.
As soon as I had reached the registration area, I changed my clothes and wait for a Grand Tours Van bound for Calbayog City. And from Calbayog City, I went straight to Catbalogan City cause my extreme adventures are awaiting for me there. My extreme adventure in Samar will be published before long.
- Tarangban Falls: The Majestic and Beautiful Waterfall of Calbayog City that you should Visit
- Samar Canyoning Adventure: Challenging But Fun, And Will Require You To Conquer Your Fear Of Heights
- Central Cave: Exploring The Crystal Maze Kingdom By Descending 60 feet Into A Cavern
- Adult – Php 10.00
- Children (7 years old below)- Php 5.00
HOW TO GET TO BANGON WATERFALLS
You can fly to Calbayog from Manila via Philippine Airlines and from Cebu through Cebu Pacific Air. From Calbayog City, ride a Grand tour Van that bound for Allen or Jeepney and ask the driver to drop you off the right field corner that goes to Bangon Falls.
You can take the Cokaliong Shipping Lines at 7 PM then you will arrive at Maguinoo Port in Calbayog the next day at 6 AM or 7AM. Cokaliong schedule from Cebu City to Calbayog City is (MFW 7:00PM), then Calbayog City to Cebu City is (TTh 7:00 PM). From the Maguinoo Port, ride a Grand tour Van that bound for Allen or Jeepney and ask the driver to drop you off the right field corner that goes to Bangon Falls.
Nearby towns like Tacloban can take a Van or Bus going to Catbalogan for 2-3 hours. The fare is Php 120.00 then, ride another Van from Catbalogan City to Calbayog for 2 hours. The fare is Php 100.00
- Be careful with the wet rocks, for they are very slippery.
- There is no mobile signal in Tarangban Falls and Bangon Falls. Just make sure your phone or camera is fully charged for picture purposes.
- Make sure you stick to your guide’s instruction. Don’t create your own system, then follow.
- Better halt the activities when the sudden rain arrives because the water can create fast currents that would result to dangerous situation.
- Wear your comfortable trekking shoes. Bring enough water, and make certain to have your stomach filled before going to Bangon Falls.
- Please remember to leave no trace behind.
- Take good care of our mother nature. Just enjoy and be responsible enough.
- Above all PRAY before going to the waterfalls for God’s guidance and protection.
Possible Travel Expenses for 4 days and 3 nights (Calbayog and Catbalogan Trip including the fare, food & accomodation )
- Cebu to Calbayog via Cokaliong – Php 1,030.00
- Cebu Pier 1 Terminal Fee – Php 25.00
- Dinner – Php 70.00
- Mid snacks – Php 70.00
- Breakfast (Coffee and bread) – Php 50.00
- Calbayog port to Brgy. Tinaplacan (Jeepney) – Php 50.00
- Bangon Falls Entrance Fee – Php 10.00
- From Tinaplacan corner to Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls – Php 200.00
- Guide Fee (Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls) – Php 200.00
- Snacks at Bangon Falls – Php 86.00
- Bangon Falls (Brgy. Tinaplacan) to Calbayog City – Php 50.00
- Calbayog to Catbalogan (Grand tours) – Php 100.00
- Catbalogan to Tacloban – Php 120.00
- Tacloban to Ormoc – Php 130.00
- Ormoc to Cebu via SuperCat – Php 570
- Terminal Fee – Php 25.00
- Lunch on board – Php 145.00
- Canyoning in Samar – Php – 2,500.00
- Central Cave adventure – Php – 3,500.00
TOTAL EXPENSES – Php 8,931.00
Itinerary for the whole trip (4 days and 3 nights, Calbayog and Catbalogan)
- 07:00 PM – Depart for Calbayog via Cokaliong from Cebu City.
- 07:30 AM – ETA Calbayog Port
- 07:40 AM – Depart for Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls in Brgy. Tinaplacan
- 08:20 AM – ETA Brgy. Tinaplacan (Registration)
- 08:30 AM – Depart for Bangon Falls
- 08:40 AM – ETA Bangon Falls Entrance
- 08:45 AM – Trek to Tarangban Falls
- 09:10 AM – ETA Tarangban Falls
- 09:20 AM – Enjoying Tarangban Falls (Swimming and Picture taking)
- 09:50 AM – Trek to Bangon Falls
- 10:10 AM – Exploring the 3 tier of Bangon Falls
- 10:40 AM – Depart for Registration Area
- 10:50 AM – ETA Registration Area (Change clothes)
- 11:10 AM – Depart for Calbayog City
- 01:00 PM – ETA Calbayog Grand Tours Terminal
- 01:10 PM – Lunch
- 01:30 PM – Depart for Catbalogan City
- 03:40 PM – ETA Catbalogan City (Sir Joni’s Place)
- 07:30 PM – Dinner with other Travel bloggers
- 09:00 PM – Orientation for the Canyoning adventure of the following day
- 10:00 PM – Rest (Sleeping time)
- 07:30 AM – Breakfast
- 08:30 AM – Depart for Jump off point
- 08:40 AM – ETA Jump Off Point
- 09:00 AM – Trek to Canyoning jump off point
- 10:00 AM – ETA Jump off point Canyoning
- 10:10 AM – Rappelling Orientation and Practice (Familiarizing the Equipment)
- 10:30 AM – Canyoning
- 01:00 PM – Snacks
- 02:00 PM – Canyoning done
- 02:30 PM – Lunch
- 03:00 PM – Rest
- 06:00 PM – Ambling around Catbalogan City
- 08:00 PM – Dinner at Orlando’s Grill
- 10:00 PM – Practice on how to use the Single Rope Technique (SRT), for the Central Cave adventure.
- 06:30 AM – Breakfast
- 07:50 AM – Depart to drop off point
- 08:10 AM – ETA Drop Off point
- 08:10 AM – Trek going to Central Cave
- 10:40 AM – ETA Central Cave entrance
- 11:00 AM – Early Lunch
- 11:40 AM – Going down to the Cave
- 12:40 AM – Exploring the Cave
- 03:10 PM – Going up to the entrance of the cave
- 04:50 PM – Trek going to the Jump off point
- 06:40 PM – ETA Jump off point
- 06:50 PM – Depart for Sir Joni’s Place
- 07:05 PM – ETA Sir Joni’s Place
- 07:10 PM – Take a bath
- 07:40 PM – Dinner
- 09:00 PM – Ambling around Catbalogan City
- 07:30 AM – Wake up call (Take a bath)
- 08:00 AM – Breakfast
- 09:00 AM – Depart for Tacloban
- 11:30 AM – ETA Tacloban Grand Tours Terminal
- 11:45 AM – Depart for Ormoc City
- 03:20 PM – ETA Ormoc City Terminal
- 03:45 PM – Depart for Cebu City
- 06:30 PM – ETA Cebu City
- 08:00 PM – Home Sweet Home