I never thought I could traipse my feet on the Island of Samar this year cause I have been desiring to explore the Island 2 years ago. But because I don’t have enough budget, it didn’t happen. Just this month, I get the chance to amble around the Western part of the island of Samar. I know that the entire Samar Island has so much to offer, it is really one of those Islands in the Philippines that never gets tired of discovering the new stunning destination for the adventurous travelers. You can always return time and time again and there will invariably be something amazing and fantastic to experience.
My adventure was supposed to start in Catbalogan City, Samar, which is also situated on the Western part of Samar. But because I took a 7 PM boat ride from Cebu City bound for Clabayog, I arrived early at the port of Maguinoo in Calbayog City. And from there, I have to make use of my time to explore the nearest waterfalls in Calbayog City before heading to Catbalogan City.
While the boat comes near the port, the beautiful sunrise welcomes me. It just goes to show the name we all know has an innate beauty in its own way of showing its name.
The minute I arrived at the Maguinoo Port in Calbayog City, I took a jeepney bound for Allen and headed straight for Bangon & Tarangban Falls. I have not had breakfast that time as I was thinking of maybe I’ll have to fill my famished stomach as I reached the jump off point of Bangon Falls. Truly, I instantly took a Jeepney bound for Allen, and I told the conductor to drop me off at the right field corner that goes to Bangon Falls.
I was traveling alone that time and it’s no longer scary, but very exciting cause I’ve been doing it for a long time. Inside the Jeepney was a bit awkward cause I sat at the extension part of the Jeepney, which means at the entryway of the Jeepney there was this sturdy horizontal wood that connects from end to another end and that’s where I sit. I can definitely see some passengers as they gaze at me amusingly while holding my huge backpack. It was an adventure itself since I seldom experience such a thing.
I eventually reached the registration area of Bangon and Tarangban Falls after 30-40 minutes of travel from the Maguinoo port. There were locals who gave their sweet smile as I come down from the Jeepney. I immediately ask if there’s a nearby eatery since I didn’t have my breakfast, and unfortunately, there was none. Hence, I went to the registration area where there was this beautiful girl who take responsibility of the registration process. I pay the entrance fee of around Php 10.00 and I ride a motorcycle going to the drop off point. The usual set up when you visit Tarangban Falls and Bangon Falls is you have to pay for the motorcycle driver with the amount of Php 200.00, which is actually good for 2 people, but if you travel alone just like what I did, you still have to pay the whole amount, since that is the minimum fare. For the guide fee, the minimum rate is Php 200.00 either you travel alone or you’re with a group of friends. During my sojourn, my motorcycle driver was also a local guide and he guided me well enough going to Tarangban Falls and Bangon Falls.
Tarangban falls is likely one of the highest waterfalls in Calbayog City. It looks like being dropped down several times while the water passes through the big rocks and that’s what makes it a stunning landscape to behold. The waterfall owns an interesting brink and looks so wide. And while the water flows down in slope direction and bumping on a huge rock, it appears wider and jaw-dropping as you keep gazing to its natural beauty. The water is cold, which will surely mollify your jaded body after your arduous trek. You can also get near the waterfalls and get to experience the natural massage of Tarangban Falls.
Tarangban Falls and Bangon Falls are actually situated in the same vicinage. Hence, they can both be reached on the same day of your sojourn.
Chris, my guide told me that we get to visit the Tarangban falls first, and on our way back, we will be visiting the Bangon Falls since it is easy to reach compared to Tarangban Falls. He told me that it will take approximately 30 minutes of trekking in the lush scenery green forest before I can see the inviting beauty of Tarangban Falls. My guide even asked me if I’m up for the challenge, and I was smiling without him recognizing that I’m really into trekking as I have climbed several mountains already. Truly, the trek was quite challenging, but in first timer perspective, it might be a difficult trek, since the trek leading to the falls is assault.
I was sweating a clear liquid from my sweat glands as I find the trek a bit challenging while I’m getting near the Falls. Until my guide finds out that my pacing was fast and he told me that we can probably arrive at the falls in less than 25 minutes. Hence, I smile and told him that trekking is actually my favorite part of the adventure whenever I travel. Truly, we arrived at the Tarangban Falls in less than 25 minutes.
There was this lone store that sells cold drinks for the visitors and other food as well. He welcomes me with a grin and told me that I was too early, which is great cause I will own the waterfalls alone. It’s actually intended that I have to reach the waterfalls as early as I can to avoid the crowd. At close to 9:30 AM or 10:00 AM, the waterfalls can be crowded, especially on weekends. The good thing was, I arrived at the Tarangban Falls at about 9:10 AM.
I took a rest and drink some water before I decided to go near the waterfalls. I even sit on a sturdy wooden bench and hold a small chitchat with the adorable kids nearby. Shortly enough, I took off my shirt and went closer to the waterfalls, took some photos as well and eventually I enjoy the cold water as it hugs my tiring body. True, I own the place, it was serene and seems like I let the whole place just exclusively for taking a bath. I likewise love the natural massage, it somehow helps me feel so relax.
Soon enough, I decided to depart for Bangon Falls and while we descended from Tarangban Falls, I asked Chris about Tarangban Falls, how it was being discovered and how come they called it Tarangban Falls. Chris was seemed to be so ready about my queries as he have elucidated it very well. Chris said that a few years back, Tarangban Falls was not yet discovered while Bangon Falls have already been spotted by many locals. It was discovered when a curious locals went upstream until they have seen the sensational beauty of Tarangban Falls. From that day on, it was served as a favorite spot of many locals until Tarangban Falls have been recognized by many travelers. Though the waterfalls have been seen in many print magazines and other online platform, it is still left in its own innate state.
While we keep on our trek, we induced a good talk about many things and what more should I experience in Calbayog. I didn’t recognize that we already have reached the river where we get to trek a little bit to reach the Bangon Falls. Will surely blog about Bangon Falls on my next blog post.
Adult – Php 10.00
Children (7 years old below)- Php 5.00
HOW TO GET TO TARANGBAN WATERFALLS
You can fly to Calbayog from Manila through Philippine Airlines and from Cebu through Cebu Pacific Air. From Calbayog City, ride a Grand tour Van that bound for Allen or Jeepney and ask the driver to drop you off the right field corner that goes to Bangon Falls.
You can take the Cokaliong Shipping Lines at 7 PM then you will arrive at Maguinoo Port in Calbayog the next day at 6 AM or 7AM. Cokaliong schedule from Cebu City to Calbayog City is (MFW 7:00PM), then Calbayog City to Cebu City is (TTh 7:00 PM). From the Maguinoo Port, ride a Grand tour Van that bound for Allen or Jeepney and ask the driver to drop you off the right field corner that goes to Bangon Falls.
By Bus or Van
Nearby towns and Cities like Tacloban can take a Van or Bus going to Catbalogan for 2-3 hours. The fare is Php 120.00 then, ride another Van from Catbalogan City to Calbayog for 2 hours. The fare is Php 100.00
- Be careful with the wet rocks, for they are very slippery.
- There is no mobile signal in Tarangban Falls and Bangon Falls. Just make sure your phone or camera is fully charged for picture purposes.
- Make sure you stick to your guide’s instruction. Don’t create your own system, then follow.
- Better halt the activities when the sudden rain arrives because the water can create fast currents that would result to dangerous situation.
- Wear your comfortable trekking shoes.
- Bring enough water, and make certain to have your stomach filled before going to Ulan-Ulan Falls and Recoletos Falls
- Please remember to leave no trace behind. Take good care of our mother nature. Just enjoy and be responsible enough.
- Above all PRAY before going to the waterfalls for God’s guidance and protection.
Possible Travel Expenses for 4 days and 3 nights (Calbayog and Catbalogan Trip including the fare, food & accomodation )
- Cebu to Calbayog via Cokaliong – Php 1,030.00
- Cebu Pier 1 Terminal Fee – Php 25.00
- Dinner – Php 70.00
- Mid snacks – Php 70.00
- Breakfast (Coffee and bread) – Php 50.00
- Calbayog port to Brgy. Tinaplacan (Jeepney) – Php 50.00
- Bangon Falls Entrance Fee – Php 10.00
- From Tinaplacan corner to Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls – Php 200.00
- Guide Fee (Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls) – Php 200.00
- Snacks at Bangon Falls – Php 86.00
- Bangon Falls (Brgy. Tinaplacan) to Calbayog City – Php 50.00
- Calbayog to Catbalogan (Grand tours) – Php 100.00
- Catbalogan to Tacloban – Php 120.00
- Tacloban to Ormoc – Php 130.00
- Ormoc to Cebu via SuperCat – Php 570
- Terminal Fee – Php 25.00
- Lunch on board – Php 145.00
- Canyoning in Samar – Php – 2,500.00
- Central Cave adventure – Php – 3,500.00
TOTAL EXPENSES – Php 8,931.00
Itinerary for the whole trip (4 days and 3 nights, Calbayog and Catbalogan)
- 07:00 PM – Depart for Calbayog via Cokaliong from Cebu City.
- 07:30 AM – ETA Calbayog Port
- 07:40 AM – Depart for Bangon Falls and Tarangban Falls in Brgy. Tinaplacan
- 08:20 AM – ETA Brgy. Tinaplacan (Registration)
- 08:30 AM – Depart for Bangon Falls
- 08:40 AM – ETA Bangon Falls Entrance
- 08:45 AM – Trek to Tarangban Falls
- 09:10 AM – ETA Tarangban Falls
- 09:20 AM – Enjoying Tarangban Falls (Swimming and Picture taking)
- 09:50 AM – Trek to Bangon Falls
- 10:10 AM – Exploring the 3 tier of Bangon Falls
- 10:40 AM – Depart for Registration Area
- 10:50 AM – ETA Registration Area (Change clothes)
- 11:10 AM – Depart for Calbayog City
- 01:00 PM – ETA Calbayog Grand Tours Terminal
- 01:10 PM – Lunch
- 01:30 PM – Depart for Catbalogan City
- 03:40 PM – ETA Catbalogan City (Sir Joni’s Place)
- 07:30 PM – Dinner with other Travel bloggers
- 09:00 PM – Orientation for the Canyoning adventure of the following day
- 10:00 PM – Rest (Sleeping time)
- 07:30 AM – Breakfast
- 08:30 AM – Depart for Jump off point
- 08:40 AM – ETA Jump Off Point
- 09:00 AM – Trek to Canyoning jump off point
- 10:00 AM – ETA Jump off point Canyoning
- 10:10 AM – Rappelling Orientation and Practice (Familiarizing the Equipment)
- 10:30 AM – Canyoning
- 01:00 PM – Snacks
- 02:00 PM – Canyoning done
- 02:30 PM – Lunch
- 03:00 PM – Rest
- 06:00 PM – Ambling around Catbalogan City
- 08:00 PM – Dinner at Orlando’s Grill
- 10:00 PM – Practice on how to use the Single Rope Technique (SRT), for the Central Cave adventure.
- 06:30 AM – Breakfast
- 07:50 AM – Depart to drop off point
- 08:10 AM – ETA Drop Off point
- 08:10 AM – Trek going to Central Cave
- 10:40 AM – ETA Central Cave entrance
- 11:00 AM – Early Lunch
- 11:40 AM – Going down to the Cave
- 12:40 AM – Exploring the Cave
- 03:10 PM – Going up to the entrance of the cave
- 04:50 PM – Trek going to the Jump off point
- 06:40 PM – ETA Jump off point
- 06:50 PM – Depart for Sir Joni’s Place
- 07:05 PM – ETA Sir Joni’s Place
- 07:10 PM – Take a bath
- 07:40 PM – Dinner
- 09:00 PM – Ambling around Catbalogan City
- 07:30 AM – Wake up call (Take a bath)
- 08:00 AM – Breakfast
- 09:00 AM – Depart for Tacloban
- 11:30 AM – ETA Tacloban Grand Tours Terminal
- 11:45 AM – Depart for Ormoc City
- 03:20 PM – ETA Ormoc City Terminal
- 03:45 PM – Depart for Cebu City
- 06:30 PM – ETA Cebu City
- 08:00 PM – Home Sweet Home