The sky was unpredictably so mad the moment I was about to come out of my room and go to our tryst. That same time, I was in doubt either to go or I’ll stay inside my room and embrace the comfort of my bed. The heavy rain was freely expressing itself without any vacillation. I was waiting until the rain will finally break off. I know that time that I might be late and I always don’t like when people wait for me cause I see myself so important which I’m really not. Yes, out of my intention I was then late and won’t able to go with my friends, but they were even so kind to wait me in Minglanilla as tend to be our second meeting place.
We had a quick motorcycle ride and while the heavy rain was pouring into Cebu City, it was then opposite in Minglanilla. The road was so dry and full of dust, which I find it the kind of adventure I like. I was joining with a group of my friends office mate, which most of them were a first timer and never received a chance to camp in the mountain. It was late in the afternoon when we arrived at the jump off area and our time was scarcely enough to reach the Peak of Mt. Naupa before dark. While we started to trek, I can truly feel and the hope of seeing the sunset is limpidly visible on our faces since, this mountain is known for owning a stunning sunset. But the clouds were playing with the sun, like as if the clouds were slowly telling us that we won’t be seeing the jaw-dropping sunset.
Sturdily standing at around 584 MASL. Mt. Naupa offers a panoramic panorama of a green meadow and a stunning mountain range with its neighboring mountains. It is recognized to be the friendliest mountain in Cebu, since it has a very friendly trail when you get to its summit. Some veteran mountaineers can climb this mountain for only 30 minutes. Yes, it is very easy to reach and has its own stunning view that will surely leave you in awe and a dandy spot to own, which will surely lead you to have a deep reverence for nature. This mountain is also known for naturally owning a wide camping site, great place to witness the stunning sunset and sunrise.
In the first timers perspective, the trail going to Mt. Naupa is not easy, which I also agree. It is actually the most friendly trail and a good mountain choice in Cebu to hike, especially, if you haven’t tried mountain climbing before. Some say that the trail leading to Mt. Naupa offers an orientation for those that love to climb the mountain. The trail is enough to feel what it feels like to climb the mountain. It was my first time to hike to the mountain in the late afternoon and I felt like It was tiring, perhaps because I used to start hiking in the morning. I was breathing laboriously and I feel like it was my first time to hike on the stack again.
As closely as we reach the Peak, there’s a mini store that offers us a quick rest, which is truly a perfect place to feel the mountain breeze. We caught a very enticing ripe banana, which is just so perfect for our afternoon snacks. There’s also a nice view that mollifies our tiring body from a tiring trek. Some said that the trail leading to Mt. Naupa will only take an hour or less, but since I was climbing this mountain with mostly first timers, it took us more than an hour to reach the Peak.
As we keep going on our trek, we found out a gate, which is also a sign that we arrived at the registration area and we need to pay an amount of Php 20.00 for the entrance fee for this goes to the maintenance of the mountain Peak. Looking back, climbing this mountain doesn’t have an entrance fee and they have just begun collecting this just last April of this year.
Right after paying the entrance fee, we continue on our trek and we already heard the voices of people setting their camping tent at the shoulder of the Peak, which is where most trekkers lay down their tent and also the safest spot to camp. The last challenge that you’ll be facing before you can ultimately reach the camping site is to walk along the high slopes, which I find it hard and I was exuding clear liquid from my sweat glands. Genuinely, we reach the Peak, but we were not lucky enough to witness the stunning sunset.
We immediately get a good spot to set up our tent, but the sturdy wind seemed to be our enemy that time. The wind became so bad that pitching a tent will require 3-4 people doing it, but still we weren’t able to make it. We were afraid that the pole might break cause it looks like being effortlessly bent by the strong wind. What we did was to find another space where we can set up our tent. Shortly enough, the minute that we were almost done in pitching our tent, the wind also stops. But before the whole place filled with darkness, I was able to take a picture of the view while I’m inside my tent and rest for a while before preparing for our dinner.
The whole space is getting dark and we also started to prepare for our dinner. What I enjoy about cooking dinner when camping is the unending stories that often leads to jokes as well. More than an hour of cooking and we eventually had our dinner.
We supposed to have our social time and play cards after our dinner, but I was a bit tired that time, hence, while I was laying down, I didn’t recognize that I was sleeping already and the moment I open my eyes, it was already morning. Yes, I really have a good sleep that night while the cold mountain breeze lulled me into a deep slumber.
As we all have woken up from our good sleep, we were really expecting to see a good sunrise at that time, but we are not that fortunate enough because of the heavy fogs that surrounds the whole mountain.
We instead prepare for our breakfast while seeing my friends being dismayed. They expected to catch a beautiful sunset before we arrived and they also expect to witness a beautiful sunrise in the break of the day, but didn’t materialize. And despite the failed expectations, we were still so elated for we were able to feel the cold morning breeze and the heavy fogs as well.
Pacifying ourselves that time also means exploring the other side of the mountain. Hence, we went to the other side and check the innate beauty that it has to offer for us. I didn’t expect a lot, simply seeing the mountain with all its own brand of beauty that it has offered really left me in awe. We walk more and check all the panoramic sights from above, the green grass that looks so serene and seemed like being naturally molded perfectly and will entice you to roll from above to go down. It was truly a perfect playground for those who simply love to gaze at the innate beauty of the mountain without bothering to think about anything. My friends told me that they have visited this mountain many times already, but they never got a chance to find out the other side of Mt. Naupa.
We actually didn’t bother about the time cause we truly have enjoyed and we were so thankful that our curious feet brought us to the other side of Mt. Naupa. While we were savoring the beautiful view, our stomach seems to call us since we haven’t had our breakfast. We departed back to our camping site and also shared what we have just seen to our friends since they stayed at the camping site to prepare for breakfast. We then told them that we will be going back in that location after our breakfast to make it fair enough for them.
The sun suddenly shown its light, hence, we had our breakfast under the clinging heat of the sunlight at that time and it was a struggle for we can’t find any shade at all. The sun must have teased us while having our breakfast and the clouds has taken over the whole place, but seemed to pour down rain that time. And barely a few minutes after fixing all our stuff and cleaning our camping site space, the rain suddenly pours, but also ends after 10 minutes. And as we have foretold to our friends, we will be bringing them to the other side of Mt. Naupa so they could also witness what we have just seen there. Truly, they have enjoyed the view and their happiness is limpidly shown on their facial expressions.
As we were about to leave the camping site of Mt. Naupa, the rain poured down again. The good thing was, there’s a humble hut house that serves to be our shelter at that instant. There were likewise a group of trekkers who have just reached the summit and together, we all had a fun time while exchanging jokes under the roof of the humble hut while the rain continue to pour down. We even bought some food and had our snacks, since the owner of the humble hut house is selling some good bites.
As the rain had finally given up. We started to descend and the sun slowly divulging it’s sunlight until we have reached the drop off area. There were already motorcycles at the drop off area and we instantly went to National Highway where we get to ride a Jeepney or a Bus going back to Cebu City.
Truly, it was fun and camping with a new found friends were truly beyond compare. I get to make friends with most of them and hoping to see them on our next trekking adventure.
HOW TO GET THERE
There are daily flights to Cebu from Manila, Davao and other part of the Philippines with Major Airlines (Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific and Air Asia). From the Mactan Cebu International Airport, ride a taxi going to South Bus Terminal.
There’s a MyBus outside the airport near the exit gate on the right side. From the Airport, the drop off point is in SM Cebu. The fare is PHP 25.00. Trip schedules are from 7:00AM to 9:00PM with a 30 minute interval.
From SM Cebu if you choose to ride a My Bus from the Airport to SM Cebu. Ride a Taxi or a Jepneey going to South Bus Terminal. You can always ask the locals what Jepneey to ride or where to ride going to the Cebu South Bus Terminal. From South Bus Terminal, ride a Mini Bus that bound for Carcar City and ask the Bus Conductor to drop you off in Tungkop, Minglanilla. The landmark where you get down is in the next corner of the Sister of Mary School in Minglanilla at the right field corner near the Lolo Tinong’s Bakeshop. From Lolo Tinong’s Bakeshop, ride a motorcycle going to the drop off area in Brgy. Cogon and its located near the Sto. Niño Church, just tell your Motorcycle driver to drop you at the drop off area going to Mt. Naupa.
From the chapel, the track leading to the peak is already established. You will as well be seeing children near the Church that are willing to guide you to the peak for a price.
- Make sure your phone or camera is fully charged for picture purposes or bring a not so heavy Power bank.
- Wear your comfortable trekking shoes, clothes and everything that you need when trekking in the stack. Bring just the necessary thing you need when climbing the mountain. Always make sure that climbing the mountain with your heavy backpacks is not easy and it’s very tiring. It might drain your energy.
- Bring enough food, which includes trail food and always make sure to have a meal plan, particularly if you’re traveling with a group of people. Bringing of drinking water is also advisable, but there are also mini stores at the summit where you can buy water and some good bites.
- Mt. Naupa can possibly be reached if you choose a day trek. The best time to travel here is early in the morning to witness the sunrise or in the afternoon before the sunset.
- If you choose to stay overnight. Always remember that your tent is where you take the chance to rest at night, so make sure to bring a sturdy mountaineering tent and a sleeping bag cause it might be really cold at night and at dawn.
- Bring a reliable head lamp for you need it at night and also a ground sheet for your tent.
- We can’t foretell the weather, so you better bring your dry bag to put all your gadgets and camera when it rains.
- If you bid to have your snacks or meal at the summit, please take responsibility of your garbage, make sure to bring them all with you and don’t leave your garbage there.
- Please remember to leave no trace behind. Take good care of our mother nature. Just enjoy and be responsible enough. Don’t break its innate beauty.
POSSIBLE TRAVEL EXPENSES TO PREPARE
- Mini Bus fare from Cebu South Bus Terminal to Naga – Php 30.00
- Motorcycle (Habal-Habal) fare going to Brgy. Cogon (drop off area) – Php 50.00
- Entrance Fee – php 20.00
- Food (Snacks, water & dinner) – PHP 200.00
- Motorcycle (Habal-Habal) fare from Brgy. Cogon (drop off area) to National Highway – Php 50.00
- Mini Bus Fare from Naga to Cebu South Bus Terminal – Php 30.00
Total – Php 380.00
ITINERARY FOR THIS TREK
- 02:30 PM – Depart for Tungkop Minglanilla 03:30 PM – ETA at the corner of Tinong’s Bakeshop
- 03:40 PM – Depart for drop off area
- 04:00 PM – ETA Brgy. Cogon near the Chapel
- 04:10 PM – Prepare for the trek
- 04:30 PM – Start trekking (Trekking time is 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the pacing).
- 05:30 PM – ETA Summit (Camping site) 05:40 PM – Tent Pitching
- 06:30 PM – Prepare for dinner
- 08:00 PM – Dinner
- 11:00 PM – Lights off (Sleep)
- 05:45 AM – Wake up call
- 06:00 AM – Sunrise (Sea of clouds)
- 06:30 AM – Prepare for breakfast
- 07:30 AM – Exploring the other side of Mt. Naupa
- 08:30 AM – Back to camping site
- 09:00 AM – Breakfast
- 09:30 AM – Break Camp
- 10:30 AM – Depart for Drop off area
- 11:15 AM – ETA Drop off area (Rest)
- 11:30 AM – Depart for National Highway (Lolo Tinong’s Bakeshop)
- 12:00 PM – Depart for Cebu City
- 01:30 PM – Home sweet home.